Saturday, May 14, 2011

ADVICE TO THE ADVISORS

The temperature hovered around 115 degrees for the short but eventful trip to India. The kids that had come with great expectations to the youth camp were eager eyed and ready to soak in information ranging from building bridges to entrepreneurship. The resource leaders seemed equipped and the worship leaders seemed ordained. The heat of the tropical sun coupled with the humidity on the shores of the Bay of Bengal seemed to lose their edge when counteracted with the passion stirring in the souls of the youth of India.  Here I had come as an advisor to a bastion of possibility a short distance from where I had grown up on the same coastline. But the young girl who wanted to know if some of her decisions would always be held against her changed all that. Her smile was more radiant than a thousand stars and the glint in her eyes showed a promise that was yet to be revealed.

She ministered to me on a couple of occasions using simple verbiage and an abundance of innocence. She had the wonder that Dr. Ravi Zacharias says we all lose as we transcend into adulthood. She had a glow that seemed to radiate amidst the chaos and cacophony of a society trying to cling to its past heritage while swallowing every vestige of capitalism that makes it through the layers of disappointment. How much life had she already seen amidst the maze of confusion and the images of a distorted reality that come with every rising sun? Was there going to be any hope in the words shaped with a reality that seemed to have been crafted in relative comfort half a world away? Her answers seemed to indicate that in time and space both the teacher and the student would leave rejuvenated.

Many others validated the journey this past week as they responded to my queries of doubt and guilt. The young boy from India thanked me for coming and the lady from our Church in Texas, insisted that I keep on going. A friend and encourager asked me to take a deep look inside and a spiritual leader cautioned me to include everyone on the ride. A teacher of my youth shed tears as she wanted her student to not hurt and my bride asked me to forsake all doubt for the journey was just beginning. Dr. Adrian Rogers says that if we all have a purpose to pursue, there is a person to prepare and a price to pay. Dr. John Maxwell suggests that we can pay now and play later or play now and pay later. My advise is that you cannot be someone else but with God and your inner circle you can become the “best you.”  That’s my advice, to all of you advisors whom I take very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment